Reforçar as orlas com fita beta numa jaqueta Reinforcing the edges with fusible tape on a jacket

Português
English (uncheck the other box and check this one)
O meu projecto de costura actual faz parte do conjunto “Extravagância cor-de-laranja”; trata-se de uma jaqueta da Burda de Setembro de 2007 que aparece em dois modelos, o 113 feito em tweed ao xadrez com a bainha terminada com a corta-e-cose e virada para fora e uma correia com fecho:

E o 114, cujos acabamentos (bainha com vista e botão na frente) são os que vou aplicar na minha jaqueta, porque estou a pensar usá-la com um cinto largo em pele e também porque prefiro a baínha com vista:

Depois de terminar esta jaqueta ficam a faltar mais dois elementos deste conjunto, uma camisa e outra jaqueta em tweed cor-de-laranja, ambos da Burda (podem ver os modelos aqui e aqui).

Como podem reparar, a jaqueta que estou a fazer tem umas lapelas bastante grandes e profundas, por isso, além de reforçar as peças da frente com entretela, apliquei uma segunda camada de entretela nas lapelas, cortada com o correr do fio paralelo à orla anexa à linha de dobra e sem margens de costura:

Também queria mostrar a aplicação da fita beta (obrigada ao Paco, que me enviou duas bobinas), que não é mais do um rolo de entretela termo-colante tecida, cortado às fatias de 1cm de largura; podem fazer fitas destas cortando entretela no sentido do correr do fio, como já disse antes. A entretela é cortada no correr do fio porque o seu propósito é evitar que as orlas estiquem e deformem, por isso aplica-se sempre nas orlas dos bolsos, nas orlas da frente das jaquetas e casacos, nas cavas e nos decotes. Como é óbvio, como é cortada no correr do fio, esta fita não se molda às curvas; por isso é necessário fazer uns piques, mas com cuidado para a fita não quebrar na sua função de reforço. Vou mostrar um exemplo na orla da frente arredondada da jaqueta em que estou a trabalhar.

Já sabem que costumo alinhavar todas as marcações; se cortarem as margens de costura com um valor certo (por exemplo 1,5cm), podem aplicar a fita a 1,3cm da orla para que esta passe 2mm além da linha por onde vão coser (para o caso dos reforços das orlas da frente e lapelas). Nas fotos seguintes podem ver que ao colocar a fita retiro os alinhavos de marcação que ficam por baixo e passo uns novos, por cima da fita. Se não fizesse isto, os alinhavos ficavam colados entre a fita e o tecido entretelado!

Depois podem ver como se fazem os piques, antes de colar a fita a ferro:

Alinhavar todas as marcações é bastante demorado e trabalhoso, mas é o que me permite ter um bom alinhamento dos quadrados do xadrez. Faço-o também porque para mim é relaxante. Nos moldes que já têm as margens de costura incluídas, alinhavo apenas as marcações como as pinças, as linhas de centro, etc.

Também queria acrescentar que existe outros tipos de fita termo-colante de reforço, por exemplo cortada em viés e reforçada com um ponto de cadeia na linha de aposição da costura; neste caso a fita molda-se às curvas sem necessidade de fazer os piques, e como tem uma costura de reforço, evita na mesma que as orlas deformem. Também existe em mais cores e diversas larguras. O Paco já me tinha enviado um pacote desta fita para eu experimentar, mas ao ler um artigo da Christina (blog Assorted Notions), descobri que existe à venda online no Reino Unido, na loja Sew Essential.

Ainda tenho muito trabalho pela frente nesta jaqueta antes de começar a coser: fazer o reforço do peito, aplicar fita na linha da dobra da lapela, etc. Até à próxima!

My current sewing project belongs to the “Orange Extravaganza” set; it’s a jacket from the September2007 BWOF which is featured in two models: the 113 is made of plaid tweed, the hem allowance serged and turned outwards and the closure has a leather belt and a buckle on the front waist:

The 114 uses the same pattern with different finishing details; the hem has a facing and the closure is a single button; this is what I’ll be using for my jacket because I plan on wearing it with a wide leather belt and I prefer the faced hem treatment.

I plan on making two more garments for this set, both from BWOF; an orange tweed jacket and a shirt (you can see the models here and here).

Notice that the plaid jacket has wide and deep lapels; besides reinforcing the fronts with fusible interfacing, I added another layer to the lapels; it is cut with the grain line parallel to the fold line of the lapel and with no seam allowances:

Now I’d like to show how I apply the “beta tape” (thanks Paco for sending me two spools!), which is a roll of thin woven fusible interfacing cut in 1cm wide sections; you can make your beta tape yourself if you cut on-grain strips of this woven interfacing as well. Why cut on grain? Because its purpose is reinforcing by preventing stretching; if it was cut on the bias, the tape would stretch too. This tape is mostly used on the front edges of jackets and coats, necklines, armholes and pocket openings. Obviously this tape doesn’t shape into a curve, so it must be notched/clipped to do so. This is a procedure that should be done with care because you don’t want to break the tape and make it useless for its purpose. I will show you an example on the round edges of the jacket front next.

You already know me for thread tracing every pattern line (except when I’m using patterns with SAs included), lol; if you cut your SAs with a known width and the stitch the same distance from the edge, you don’t have to thread trace the sewing lines; I do it because it relaxes me and in this case, makes the job of aligning plaids a lot easier! So I have the fronts interfaced and thread traced and now I’m applying the beta tape; I can’t fuse it over the thread tracing or the basting thread would be permanently glued in place; so I am removing the basting thread and stitching a new one over the tape as I go, you can observe how the tape is placed (2mm over the stitching line) in the case of edge reinforcements with fusible tape (it reinforces the front edge and lapel, in this case).

After the tape is basted in place, I notch it around curves, as demonstrated in the next picture, before fusing it permanently:

All this thread tracing process is time consuming and as I said before, you don’t have to do things the same way as I do to get good results. As I’ve said before, I only do it because I like it. If you don’t baste the tape in place, you can pin it, notch it and remove the pins as you press.

There are more types of fusible tape in the market; for example, there’s also bias cut fusible tape with a chain stitch running 2-3mm from one edge; this tape doesn’t need to be notched or clipped because it will shape into curves; the chainstitch (placed over the stitching line) will prevent the edge from stretching. You can find it in other colors too and this is the tape that BWOF recommends, mostly for knits. Reading a blog entry by Christina (Assorted Notions blog), I discovered that there is a supplier in Europe for this type of tape: it’s available from Sew Essential in the UK and it can be purchased online.

There is still much work to do, like adding the chest shield, taping the roll line, etc. See you next time!

11 comments:

Erica Bunker said...

Tany, thanks for this post! I always learn something great and new from you!

Meg said...

You would think someone in the US sells this tape! The next time I go into NYC to the garment district I will see if I can hunt this tape down.

Anonymous said...

I still admire your patience... ;) I sometimes threadtrace, but only if I have to. So I don't like to do it twice... If I have to put fusible over my threadtracing I'm using normal sewing thread (not basting thread) and then I cut the stitches on the wrong side of the fabric before fusing the interfacing.

This allows me to pull out my stitches on the right side later, without damaging the fabric or the fused interfacing.

(Yes, I am lazy... *g*)

Ann Made Studio said...

Tany another great tutorial. Thank you so much for this information.
I believe I may have something very similar. I purchased mine from Judy Barlup at Unique Techniques. I have the Straight tape Iron on,(White & black) and a bias tape Iron on. (They are 100% cotton w/fusing, on 20 meter rolls)
http://uniquetechniques.com/shopnotions/shopnotions.html
You may enjoy her site. She has allot of great books/DVD's ;)

Summerset said...

Thanks for showing this! It makes a big difference in the final product. Can't wait to see the jacket!

Vicki said...

Thanks Tany. I always learn so much from you :)

Cennetta said...

Great tutorial, Tany. You're an awesome teacher and it is always a treat to stop by your blog.

toy said...

your tutorial is right on time for me, the vogue jacket, I am working on has the same type of collar, so I am happy you are posting your technique for doing sewing the collar, I will look for that tape also

Anonymous said...

Toca a trabalhar, porque estou desejosa não só de ver essa jaqueta como a camisa que escolhes-te!

Bjs

Mónica

bettina said...

Tany, I just found your blog. You make absoluty fantastic clothes. Most impressed I am by how careful and thorough you do this. Great!

Tany said...

Thank you B. and welcome to Couture et Tricot!