The Couture Denim Jacket: the cutting layout – A Jaqueta Alta-Costura de ganga: o plano de corte


EN Summary: When I bought the fabric I was planning on making a Chanel inspired jacket but I didn’t take the facings into account because usually these jackets don’t have facings. So I can say I was short on fabric, yet managed to cut everything and, most importantly, use the fabric’s thread orientation to my advantage. One of the things I did was omitting the CB seam and use slightly narrower SAs (this fabric doesn't ravel as much); I also found the perfect color lining for the jacket but unfortunately there wasn’t enough for lining the entire jacket so I welcomed the possibility of facing the entire center front panels. Continue reading to find out more. 

---

PT Sumário: Quando comprei este tecido estava a planear fazer uma jaqueta inspirada em Chanel, mas não considerei que teria de cortar vistas, pois usualmente este tipo de jaqueta não leva vistas. Por isso temia que o tecido não chegasse para este projeto, no entanto consegui um plano de corte que resultou no seu aproveitamento total e, ainda mais importante, tirei partido da orientação dos fios no tecido. Uma das opções que tomei foi omitir a costura do meio das costas e também usar margens de costura um pouco mais estreitas (este tecido não desfia muito). Também encontrei o forro com a qualidade e a cor perfeita, mas infelizmente não tinham a quantidade suficiente para a jaqueta; daí que o facto de usar uma vista em todo o painel central da frente (poupando o forro nesse painel) foi providencial. Continuem a ler para saberem tudo.


EN: Quilting the lining to this fabric isn’t absolutely necessary because the fabric is quite stable, unlike the tweeds/boucles mostly used for this kind of jacket, yet I wanted to quilt it. To do so, a layout where the textured threads run vertically (which means cutting on the crosswise grain in this case) is obviously more suitable so most of the pattern pieces where laid that way on the fabric, with two exceptions (keep in mind that I’m using a single layer layout and the right side of the fabric is facing up). The exceptions are the pocket flaps (I wanted them to stand out so I cut them with the texture threads running horizontally) and the front facings. I think the collar will look best if the textured threads are parallel to the collar edge; when the collar rolls in place, these threads will be nearly vertical, as the threads on the jacket’s body: 

---

PT: Acolchoar o forro a este tecido não é absolutamente necessário porque ao contrário dos tweeds e bouclés habitualmente usados nestas jaquetas, este tecido é bastante estável; no entanto quero acolchoar o forro e para que os pespontos se disfarcem melhor, as peças devem ser cortadas para que os fios texturizados fiquem orientados na vertical (neste caso significa orientar as peças à largura do tecido em vez de ao comprimento). Isto foi feito com duas exceções: as paletas dos bolsos (que cortadas com os fios na horizontal vão sobressair mais) e as vistas. Achei que a gola ficaria melhor se os fios texturizados ficassem paralelos à beira da gola, pois quando ela dobra na sua posição, estes fios ficam orientados praticamente na vertical, como em toda a jaqueta:

EN: I didn’t have enough fabric to cut the entire facing on the bias, so I divided the facing in two and cut the lower part on grain (the two will be seamed together). I also managed to save the fabric’s selvage and a 2.5 inch wide band to use as a hem facing (saving an inch in lining length). This facing is also necessary because of the cord edging; otherwise the lining would end on the jacket’s edge. 

---

PT: Não tinha tecido suficiente para cortar toda a peça da vista em viés (é a peça mais comprida do molde), por isso dividi-a em duas partes, cortando a superior em viés e a inferior no correr do fio (depois é só uni-las com uma costura). Também aproveitei as aurelas do tecido e uma tira de 7,5cm para fazer uma vista na bainha da jaqueta, poupando assim mais um pouco de forro. Esta vista também dá jeito se aplicar o cordão na orla inferior da jaqueta (de contrário o forro terminaria mesmo na bainha).

EN: I can use the selvage on some other project or use it together with the cord trim like this; it’s an option to be considered, if there is enough selvage: 

---

PT: Posso usar a aurela noutro projeto ou coloca-la com o vivo/ cordão assim, desde que haja aurela para toda a jaqueta, claro:

EN: Now it’s thread tracing time! See you guys later!

---

PT: Agora é preciso marcar tudo com alinhavos! Até breve!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

That trim treatment is very similar to one I'm considering for my jacket. I've purchased several trim options but cannot make a decision. I wish I had the discipline to spend more time on it. At this rate you will finish your second jacket before I complete my first.

Vi H said...

Thanks so much for sharing your work, both here and on your fashion blog. I love your work, very inspiring!